Accepting Applications: Local Product Council: The 55+ Lifestyle
By 2020, 30 percent of Virginia’s population will be 55 and older. This growing demographic segment is fueled by the Baby Boomer generation which is living a longer more engaging life. The demands from citizens 55+ will provide numerous opportunities but also present challenges for planners, architects, developers, and elected officials. Making communities livable for those 55+ will require a range of requirements from transportation to housing to access to healthcare. This multi-disciplinary group will examine the future of the 55+ lifestyle and how Virginia, localities, and private companies are addressing the needs of this growing population segment.
- Meet 3 times per year
- Share information/best practices in 3 white papers published by ULI Virginia
- Participate and collaborate in a collegial and active manner
The goal of this LPC is to is to examine the impact of this growing demographic segment on planning, real estate development, and land use management in our communities. During Council meetings, members will explore current conditions, trends, and future approaches to these issues through a variety of Council activities including:
- Presentation of relevant policies, case studies, and transformational projects by public officials, planning and design professional, and developers
- Site tours of relevant projects throughout the state
- Small group break-out activities within the Council and sharing of findings
The stated goal of this Council is to identify specific issues related to the subject matter and develop a white-paper to capture the inputs, idea generation, observations, and recommendations related to the topics explored following each council meeting. These deliverables will be made available to the general membership of ULI following each meeting.
Each member of this Council is expected to participate and be fully engaged in meetings and to contribute materially to each deliverable.
- $350 per year
The ULI Virginia Local Product Council provides an opportunity for members to share and discuss with their peers pertinent issues that real estate and land use professionals face each day. Sharing many of the same characteristics as a National ULI Product Council, the ULI Virginia Local Product Council is consistent with ULI’s tradition of sharing experiences gained, mistakes made and lessons learned. Please know that to get the most out of your experience, confidentiality is crucial.
Additional attributes the Local Product Council provides:
- A confidential, trusting environment for educational and idea exchanges
- Exploration of business and personal interests/issues
- Business and personal networking
- Professional and personal growth