Sea Level Rise can be both our greatest challenge and our greatest opportunity. If the region works and collaborates together, our collective expertise can not only positively impact our economic future, but by exporting that knowledge, also help the rest of the nation, even the world, in learning how plan live with the water. ULI Virginia has worked brought together experts in the field in via Technical Services and Reality Check Programs.
This panel looked at ways to use development opportunities and challenges in the Fort Norfolk neighborhood to improve flood protection for vulnerable locations in the community, but also to build economic opportunity – to use the site as an avenue to broad community strength and resilience.
Resilient Region Reality Check (March 17, 2015)
- Flooding is impacting life in Hampton Roads
- Sea level rise should be essential in planning
- Land use planning should play a key role
- Regional solutions needed
- Financial and non-financial resources needed
- Civic engagement and outreach important